Monday 22 March 2010

Live performances I wish I'd been at part 1

I wasn't present at any of these musical delights, but if the grandchildren ask, I'll bend the truth and say I was.

If the grand-kids then call me a liar, and tease me about not being their real granddad, I'll send them to bed without dinner- which will probably come in pill form by then, so they'll no doubt have a load stashed in their satchels anyway. Curse these imaginary future blighters!

Moving on. Here's a few rock performances I really dig, collated for ease of viewing.

The Strokes on Letterman

I love how lead singer Julian Casablancas (the band all have improbably amazing names) manages to fall over a guitar amp and emerge cooler for it.



Radiohead on From the Basement

A gem of a moment from a year ago, that captures the band's newfound swagger.



Jeff Buckley at Glastonbury

This man's vocal range is said to reach the highs of a castrati and the lows of a tenor. No one's matched him since, or before.

The take home lesson from his tragically short life? Don't swim in rivers after one too many Jack Daniels kids : (



Jay-Z at Glastonbury

Lapping up- and living up to- the hype, Jay-Z 'pwns' Glasto rap naysayers with the show's best performance. In your face narrow-mindedness.



Beatles Don't Let me Down on the Apple Corps rooftop, 1969

Lennon was off of his face on smack, McCartney was holding the band together by a fine thread, YET the tension sort of gives an untangible edge to this performance, which was designed to wind up the local cops.



Death Cab studio session

Not many bands can pull of an epic tension-building intro, let alone release it as a single.

The lyrics to the track, when they eventually come in, are a little bit 'stalky' on reflection. Still, an undeniably good bass line.

No comments:

Post a Comment