Tuesday 5 January 2010

Noughty lists

The Noughties are over, and the internet's grown to the point where it's basically a giant brain, enabling everyone to become a mini expert on everything.

Recently, during a menial conversation about Corn Flakes with a person I just made-up, I left the table, Googled for a bit on my iPhone, came back and brazenly threw this nugget of raw factoid out there:

"Did you know that corn was of critical importance to the Native American group called the Hopi. In an area where food was often scarce, corn provided a relatively stable food supply with important nutritional value."

Impressed by my intellectual fortitude, my imaginary accompolise then left the table for a bit himself, came back and retorted:

"The Native American Hopi tribe you say? You mean the ones who primarily live on the 12,635 km² Hopi Reservation in northeastern Arizona which is entirely surrounded by the much larger Navajo Reservation?"

As with so many an intellectual tête-à-tête, the whole debacle eventually descended into a full on fist fight, from which I was able to emerge the victor by implementing instuctions I'd read on the web about the one inch punch, a technique from Chinese martial arts performed at very close (0-6 inches) range.

The one inch punch was popularised by actor and martial artist Bruce Lee and is commonly believed to come from the Wing Chun system of Kung Fu, I understand.

....

Yes, the Noughties for me has been characterised by know-alls. Smug know-alls and a plane crash.

My next few posts will be me rounding up my favourite things from the last decade, albums and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment